Name: Disney Story Central
Age/Developmental Stage: Early School Age
Available for these devices: iOS
Cost: Free, with in-app purchase capability for more stories
Did someone say Disney? I’m on it!
Here is a direct summary from iTunes about this app:
Disney Story Central is a digital library filled with hundreds of reading adventures, instantly connecting to beloved Disney and Disney*Pixar characters.
Disney Story Central’s extensive library allows children to ignite their imaginations as they journey through portals of storytelling, nostalgia, promise, and delight that only the magic of Disney can offer. With new stories added weekly, personalized recommendations, and rewards to motivate reading, it’s easy to see how Disney Story Central encourages children to develop a lifelong love of reading!
• The largest library of Disney and Disney*Pixar books in one app!
• Unlimited access to hundreds of books, featuring favorite characters
• FREE books just for downloading, with additional books available for purchase
• New stories added every week!
• Reading rewards, including stars and trophies, to track your child’s reading progress
• Starter packs to unlock collections featuring your child’s favorite characters and stories
• Access to purchased content and reading rewards across devices through your Disney account
POPULAR DISNEY CHARACTERS FEATURED:
• Disney Junior (Sofia the First, Doc McStuffins, Captain Jake & the Never Land Pirates, Mickey Mouse Clubhouse)
• Walt Disney Animation Studios (Moana, Frozen, Tangled, Wreck-It Ralph)
• Disney*Pixar (Cars, Monsters, Inc., Toy Story)
• Other Disney favorites (Mickey Mouse, Disney Princess, Winnie the Pooh)
HOW IT WORKS
Disney Story Central is available via iPad, iPhone, and tablet-optimized website at http://www.disneystorycentral.com. Begin your storytelling journey by signing up through the app or on the website.
This app is beneficial for children as they begin to develop reading and cognitive skills! This is an important skill for children to continue developing even if they are in the hospital since it is beneficial for language skills, continuing literacy learning, and beginning to build critical thinking skills.
This is a great app to have as a distraction whether it is prior to a procedure or for waiting time. These can also be great for Child Life programs that do not have enough books for demand as well! Also great for kids and parents to use when needing to read in waiting rooms, when traveling, or for older siblings to read to younger siblings!